How To Tie A Monkey's Fist Knot

I've seen a few of these in the new Pottery Barn catalog. They didn't have them listed for sale, although I know I could make them myself anyway. Or at least I was up to the challenge. The first two tries were a challenge. Then, just like with most new things, I got the hang of it and it's really quite simple. I found a long piece of rope at a yard sale for one dollar. I was able to make two of these with a good length of rope left over. So, the knot below only cost me 50 cents!


Here is the online tutorial I used to learn how to make this:



Linked to:
Pottery Barn Challenge at The CSI Project
..: How To Tie A Monkey's Fist Knot

Saturday, May 29

How To Tie A Monkey's Fist Knot

I've seen a few of these in the new Pottery Barn catalog. They didn't have them listed for sale, although I know I could make them myself anyway. Or at least I was up to the challenge. The first two tries were a challenge. Then, just like with most new things, I got the hang of it and it's really quite simple. I found a long piece of rope at a yard sale for one dollar. I was able to make two of these with a good length of rope left over. So, the knot below only cost me 50 cents!


Here is the online tutorial I used to learn how to make this:



Linked to:
Pottery Barn Challenge at The CSI Project

21 Comments:

At May 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Laurie in SC said...

That is so cool!! Thanks for sharing the info! Lovely blog you have here. I'm having a Sam Moon cuff bracelet giveaway on my blog if you're interested:
www.sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com
♥Laurie

 
At May 31, 2010 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

So neat! Gotta try this! Thank you.

 
At June 1, 2010 at 1:43 AM , Blogger iheartsunnydays said...

Thanks - this is so cool! I'm off to prectise now.

 
At June 1, 2010 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Linda@Coastal Charm said...

How "COOL"...thanks for coming to my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope you are having a fun time surfing around the party:)

Blessings,
Linda

 
At June 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Shellbelle said...

Well, I haven't been here in forever! I was off blogging while I moved to Georgia. Your blog looks wonderful, I remember when you started out, but I can see you got it down now.

Thanks for this video, I have a friend who wants to learn how, but I'm left-handed and she just can't get with my help. Nice to see you again!

 
At June 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

Thanks for the video. I have wonder how to make them.

 
At June 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Arabella said...

These are awesome! So glad I found you through Nifty Tuesday :O)

Have a great week...
Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea
"Celebrating the Coastal Lifestyle"

 
At June 2, 2010 at 6:34 AM , Blogger Decor To Adore said...

This is such a clever and creative project. Well done!

 
At June 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

You soooo good! Thanks for participating in Thrifty Thursday this week! Hugs!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

 
At June 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

So cool! I love the sailor knots!!

 
At June 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Sheri@childmade.com said...

I don't have a beach house (lucky you!) but I love the knot. Wouldn't that make a great keychain for Father's Day? In a smaller version, of course. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

 
At June 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM , Blogger KimMalk said...

It's funny you should post this. I was just noticing those in some catalog myself. Thank you for sharing. You did a great job.

 
At June 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I have been wanting to give this a try with rope from our hammock that fell apart. What length did you start with and how big would you say your final knot is?

 
At June 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your tutorial is so cool! Thanks. I love how nautical that project is!

Thanks so much for linking up to The CSI Project's hardware Store Challenge! We hope you will come back next week for the Martha Stewart-inspired challenge -- The MS Craft Department are our guest judges!!!

XOXO
Jen

 
At June 4, 2010 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Kori said...

Thanks for this post! I just did my bathroom in a beach theme and I'm sure I can use this knot somewhere!

 
At June 4, 2010 at 11:39 PM , Blogger Jess said...

That looks great! Thanks for sharing the tutorial too!

 
At June 9, 2010 at 7:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for one of these for a while. Now I can make my own. Thanks!

 
At June 10, 2010 at 5:13 AM , Anonymous Erin said...

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

 
At August 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Roo @ NiceGirlNotes said...

Love, love. I want to try!

 
At August 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM , Blogger gail@My Repurposed Life said...

stopping by from CSI.... this is go nice! I want to make one of these!
gail

 
At August 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Kristy said...

Visiting from CSI Project. So glad to have found your blog. Great stuff here!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home