Welcome To The 20th Masterpiece Monday

A masterpiece in the making.......hopefully.
I put together a little container garden while I finish the rest of the garden I've been working on. I bought a strawberry,
big tomato, cherry tomato and tomatillo,
and some sweet mint, for my favorite Summer drink, iced tea! :O)
I found one of hubby's guitar picks of all things while moving things
around and added it as a planter decoration.
Everything you see here was curb found for free, except the shovel and plants. They're from Home Depot.
I'm going to cover the black plastic tarp with bark. I love plastic tarp, 
It's the easiest way to block out the weeds.

Have you ever heard of this gardening method? I found this book at GW several years ago and I just love it.  
Lasagna Gardening is just another way of saying sheet composting.

After making raised beds on top of newspaper or cardboard, you add thin alternating layers of peat moss, compost, fertilizer, lawn clippings, etc. You can do this right on top of sod without digging! Yay!


I'm almost finished with the hard-scaping  part of the garden. Everyone of these broken cement pieces were laid out flat under where the container garden behind now sits. It wasn't working out as a patio, so I made it into a raised bed. I laid down a large piece of cardboard first to block out weeds till I'm ready to plant.


The cement pieces were free from Freecycle.org, and also the red bricks too.
I made this brick pathway a couple of years ago and decided to pull them up and create a barbecue area for hubby for fathers day.
I'm glad that the hard part is almost over, because I think my arms are
going to fall off! Next will be the fun part. :O)


Masterpiece Monday Linky Guidelines
Boogieboard Cottage


1. Please link to the specific post, not your blog!
2. Feel free to link up any of your masterpiece's whether they're crafts, recipes, decor, thrifty finds, etc.
3. Please include a brief description in link up.
4. Grab my Masterpiece Monday button on the sidebar and include it in your post or a link to Boogieboard Cottage so people can find you and more great ideas.
5. Please check and make sure your link works. If it doesn't you can delete it and try again.
6. Please no direct links to sales sites, i.e. ETSY or just a plain ol' commercial site, we are looking for your home made masterpieces we can recreate, thanks!

Have fun!



..: Welcome To The 20th Masterpiece Monday

Saturday, May 14

Welcome To The 20th Masterpiece Monday

A masterpiece in the making.......hopefully.
I put together a little container garden while I finish the rest of the garden I've been working on. I bought a strawberry,
big tomato, cherry tomato and tomatillo,
and some sweet mint, for my favorite Summer drink, iced tea! :O)
I found one of hubby's guitar picks of all things while moving things
around and added it as a planter decoration.
Everything you see here was curb found for free, except the shovel and plants. They're from Home Depot.
I'm going to cover the black plastic tarp with bark. I love plastic tarp, 
It's the easiest way to block out the weeds.

Have you ever heard of this gardening method? I found this book at GW several years ago and I just love it.  
Lasagna Gardening is just another way of saying sheet composting.

After making raised beds on top of newspaper or cardboard, you add thin alternating layers of peat moss, compost, fertilizer, lawn clippings, etc. You can do this right on top of sod without digging! Yay!


I'm almost finished with the hard-scaping  part of the garden. Everyone of these broken cement pieces were laid out flat under where the container garden behind now sits. It wasn't working out as a patio, so I made it into a raised bed. I laid down a large piece of cardboard first to block out weeds till I'm ready to plant.


The cement pieces were free from Freecycle.org, and also the red bricks too.
I made this brick pathway a couple of years ago and decided to pull them up and create a barbecue area for hubby for fathers day.
I'm glad that the hard part is almost over, because I think my arms are
going to fall off! Next will be the fun part. :O)


Masterpiece Monday Linky Guidelines
Boogieboard Cottage


1. Please link to the specific post, not your blog!
2. Feel free to link up any of your masterpiece's whether they're crafts, recipes, decor, thrifty finds, etc.
3. Please include a brief description in link up.
4. Grab my Masterpiece Monday button on the sidebar and include it in your post or a link to Boogieboard Cottage so people can find you and more great ideas.
5. Please check and make sure your link works. If it doesn't you can delete it and try again.
6. Please no direct links to sales sites, i.e. ETSY or just a plain ol' commercial site, we are looking for your home made masterpieces we can recreate, thanks!

Have fun!



56 Comments:

At May 14, 2011 at 11:01 PM , Blogger Desire Empire said...

Thought you'd be OK with some beach house love this week. Thanks for hosting.
Best Carolyn

 
At May 14, 2011 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

THANK YOU FOR HOSTING.
LAUREN

 
At May 15, 2011 at 3:11 AM , Blogger Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Wow, you have been busy! So sweet to make an area for your hubby! This is going to be a beautiful space when you are finished!
Thanks so much for the party!
Cindy

 
At May 15, 2011 at 5:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Boy do I know how you feel... It's a lot of work to have everything look good... Sometimes I tell my friend, I wish I where one of those people that didn't give a crap about what my house looks like... and she just says Yea right Pattie... It's going to be beautiful when you get done.. have a great Sunday

Pattie

 
At May 15, 2011 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, looks like a ton of work, but it is going to be fabulous. You found some wonderful things on the curb. Love it. Can't wait to see it all done. Hugs, Marty

 
At May 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Sunny Simple Life said...

This is really coming along. You are awesome doing this yourself. Sure save a lot of money that way. Love the pot with the seashells all over it.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Your space is looking great! Can't wait to see it all done! Thanks for hosting!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Blogger FABBY'S LIVING said...

Wow, this looks like a hell of a lot of work, but it'll be great when it's done! I can't wait to see it finished, I know you can't either! Thank you for hosting...as soon as I learn how to do a few things more on my comp., I'll put the Master P. buttom party on my blog. I'm not so savvy, my daughter will teach me how. Thank you for this great party and have a nice week.
Hugs
FABBY

 
At May 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM , Blogger xinex said...

Your garden's going to look so fabulous, Mary. I can't wait to see it finished. I know what you mean about feeling like your arms will fall off. I feel the same way after working in my garden, which I am showing and linking here. Those bricks get heavy....Christine

 
At May 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

My arms and back hurt just looking at the work you've been doing! I am curious to know how it works out.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Simple Daisy said...

Wow!! Now that's a lot of work!! It will fabulous when it's all finished:)

 
At May 15, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Red Door Home said...

Thanks for inviting me to your linky party! Love your garden.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Donna said...

I just love your blog! You are proof that you can be stylish and frugal at the same time! I'm your newest follower, and I just joined your linky party:)

 
At May 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM , Blogger InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Mary-

Thanks so much for the invite to your party. I have such a brown thumb - your flowers and gardening are amazing. I can plant some annuals and water them -that's about it. I leave the veggie garden up to my husband.

My best- Diane

 
At May 15, 2011 at 5:18 PM , Blogger The French Hutch said...

Wow, my back hurts just thinking about doing all that work. I use to do it, now only a little, because I hurt my back doing all that work! Can't wait to see your garden after its finished. I already know it's going to be lovely. Looks like what hubby and I enjoyed doing together.
Thanks for hosting......

~Emily
The French Hutch

 
At May 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM , Blogger Signing Out said...

You've got some great projects going on there. I love how you were able to get stuff for free.

Thanks for hosting!

Jane
frugalfineliving.com

 
At May 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Susan said...

What a cute little garden!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me over here! I'm always up for a party!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 7:10 PM , Blogger Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Thanks for inviting me and hosting! I've placed your button on my Monday Party List!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Jules said...

Thanks so much for hosting and the personal invite!!! I'm clicking to follow and adding my project ... and I will be back! :-) Jules from bles-id

 
At May 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Arabella said...

Gee whiz, Mary!! I'm tired just looking at all that work AND I'm mighty impressed. Thanks so much for hosting this fab blog party.

Hope you have a delightful week!!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Your lasagna AND Project look delicious to me! I LOVE the recipe and I'll give it a try. I LOVE all your garden goodies with the plants. EVEN your Hubby's guitar pic. Did he notice YET???
Thank you for hosting...
Happy Gardening,
Hugs,
Donna

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM , Blogger bj said...

This is an amazing way to garden. I think I will try it.....maybe I can google instructions. Thanks for telling us about it.

I am linking with you this week but don't see a linky...be back tomorrow.
xo bj

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Christie said...

I love your finds! I am crazy about my garden and find it to be the most relaxing and fun thing!! You have inspired me to be more creative with my pots! Christie

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I love the way your garden is looking, Mary! Can't wait to see the end result! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Diann said...

Everything is looking so pretty in your yard. You sure have been busy!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Lolly Jane said...

love you blog. love your style. love your yard!!

thanks a mil for the invite.. just linked up. will be back!! (:

xoxo

 
At May 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM , Anonymous Scribbler said...

Good luck with your garden. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for the invitation to link up here! I will go back and link to Boogieboard.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM , Anonymous Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

It looks so great!! Thanks for hosting the blog party. We have so much yard work to do, but it keeps raining and raining...!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 9:33 PM , Anonymous The DIY Spot said...

Thanks for stopping by and inviting me to Masterpiece Monday. What an ambitious gardening project. Look forward to seeing your completed garden.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness have you been working hard!! I bet you have gorgeous muscles by now!!

I have that lasagne gardening book and also the square foot gardening. They are fantastic books!!

I am so looking forward to seeing your new look in your yard! I know all that hard work will pay off!

bee blessed
mary

 
At May 15, 2011 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Savannah Granny said...

I am not having good luck tonight. I couldn't link up... got a notice that server to linky not available. Then I left a message and forgot you have word verification. I clicked on to the next thing to quickly and lost my message.
Message was: good luck with the gardening. Hugs, Ginger

 
At May 15, 2011 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Wow! Loving your yard!! One of my favorite things to do is work outside, but I have to admit, my husband does much of the lifting and hauling:)! You rock! Thank you for inviting me to be part of your linky party. I will try to link up in a minute, I enjoy your blog...thanks for visiting mine!

Beth

 
At May 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM , Blogger Anonymous said...

Looks like you've been a busy bee. From what we see, there is great potential for your outdoor area. Don't work too hard because you could hurt your arms or back moving all those bricks and cement. I'm sure you'll enjoy all this hard work as the weather gets better and you have a wonderful area to enjoy it.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 12:34 AM , Blogger Nita Stacy said...

Thanks for inviting me to the party! I'm your newest follower.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:31 AM , Blogger Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for visiting my blog, leaving your compliment, and for the invitation. I have linked up and become a follower.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:36 AM , Blogger wyochatfields said...

Thanks, for the invite, I love your blog.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:49 AM , Blogger the fishermans cottage said...

Love those pots, the yards coming along.. looking forwar to seeing the reveal x

 
At May 16, 2011 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Lori said...

Your garden is going to be fabulous - love all the things you picked up curbside!

 
At May 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Deborah March said...

Oooohhh, looking FABULOUS!!!

 
At May 16, 2011 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Loved the book "Lasagna Gardening," but haven't tried the method! Your spot is going to be great, I can already tell! Thanks for visiting Red Hen Home, and thanks for the party invite!

 
At May 16, 2011 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

So much work! Love that shell encrusted pot. Thanks for hosting. Have a great week!

 
At May 16, 2011 at 8:44 AM , Blogger willowcreek said...

Thanks for the invite to your party! Love your blog. :)

 
At May 16, 2011 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

Mary, I love your raised garden bed made out of broken concrete! It is much prettier than my wooden beds.

Thank you for inviting me to your party!

xoxo
Amanda

 
At May 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM , Blogger Martha said...

I've done the Lasagna Gardening method before - it works beautifully! I'm a new follower and fellow simple and frugal beach dweller. Just linked up my "I'm Ready for Summer Kind of Meal." Thanks for hosting :-)

 
At May 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me to join in the party!!! Adding this as one of my regular party stops, thanks so much!!!!
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

 
At May 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting! You sound like me, always a million things going on at once haha! Thanks for inviting me to link up. Now I will be over here every Monday! Thanks again hun!

 
At May 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment and inviting me to your fabulous link party!
I'm all linked up and linked back. :)
xoxo from Germany,
Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

 
At May 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!...you've been real busy,it sure is gonna look grand!Love the idea of using cardboard and newspaper.
Love that you are using all "free" stuff,that's wonderful,I love to re-do,re-purpose too!
Come check out what we did with some old boards!
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

 
At May 16, 2011 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Rosie Goins said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and the invite. For some reason my post appears twice; sorry. I am now a follower and linked back to your blog.

Come meet the dogs and the grandkids and grabba da button.

Rosie@Dogs and Grandkids
rgoins.blogspot.com

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM , Blogger annies home said...

love your lasagna garden I simply love that theme and think that I will borrow the idea as well I linked up as well thank you for hosting

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks fro inviting me over! I luv a good party. Your garden will be so lovely...alot of hard work, but worth it!
Kim
tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com

 
At May 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Susan Freeman said...

I admire you for taking on such big projects! I am anxious to see the big reveal. Thanks for hosting!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

 
At May 18, 2011 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Thanks for the party. I love the garden photos and that red plant on your fence. Can't tell without my other glasses if it is a tree. I also love the way you show your faith on your blog. I would like to add more of mine to my blog. Would love to be featured but I didn't see a way to submit my blog so I will do it here. http://cedarhillranch.blogspot.com/2011/05/dreamy-daybed-redo-with-feedsacks-and.html
Have a blessed day!!

 
At May 18, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Completely Coastal said...

I see a fabulous garden in the making!! Did you also make that great shell post??!!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 4:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW thanks so much for the feature! To be included in a feature such an amazing array of projects and talented people really made my day.

Julianna

aka Hungry Homebody

 
At May 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM , Anonymous Amanda said...

I just wanted to pop on over and send my love and appreciation for your kind words and for featuring me! I realllly appreciate it. Thank you so much for taking an interest in A Creative Beginning. I look forward to sharing some more ideas on your link parties!
Best,
Amanda

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home