Hello, Thanks for stopping by, Welcome to Masterpiece Monday!
Today I'm going to share another model home inspiration project.
When I saw this table scape at one of the model homes, I instantly fell in love with the entire look.
I've seen wooden buoys, but not fishing sinkers used to decorate with.
I think the sinkers are so adorable and they are the perfect size for a tablescape or vignette.
The model home sinkers were made of actual metal.
I decided to duplicate mine from styrofoam balls, for obvious reasons.
When I went shopping at various craft stores, I was surprised at how expensive styrofoam balls are! They were selling for 6-8 dollars for two, what are they made out of? Gold? Sorry, rant over.
Finally, I found them at the good ol' 99 cent store, 2 for 99.9 cents.
They were smaller than what I originally wanted, but the price was right.
The styrofoam dics I found at the Dollar Tree to make the handles.
All of the other materials I already had, so the total price for this project was only 3 dollars!
You can find my last two model home inspiration projects here and here.
- Cut a flat surface for the base.
- Make a paint and glue drying station to make the craft easier.
- Using some flat pieces of styrofoam, cut out the top handle. I used a small juice glass and a plastic cap from my acrylic paint bottle.
- Break one tooth pick in half and insert them into the top of the ball. You will need to do some guestimations here, so that the tooth picks do not show after you attach the handle.
- Cut a flat surface where the handle will join the ball.
- Brush glue onto the top of the ball, tooth pics and flat surface of the handle. Join them together and let dry completely.
- Add numbers by dipping string into glue, and applying it directly to the ball. I used yarn, because it's porous and light weight to work with.
- \I let them dry on the drying station over night.
- Because the flat styrofoam and yarn I used had a ruff texture, I gave everything one coat of paint to clarify the ruff areas more.
- I applied spackle to the handle and after it dried completely, I used low grit sand paper and a nail file to smooth it out.
- I used the same method for the numbers.
- I built up the numbers using the spackle to make them stand out more. The nail file helped give them a squarer, flatter look.
- I mixed my Benjamin Moore free paint sample (pool blue) with school glue and gave each sinker two coats of the paint mixture.
- For a chipped, rusty look, paint the sinkers first with random spots of black and let it dry.
- Layer with rust colored paint. I was out of rust, so I used copper metallic paint. Once that dried, I went over everything with a little bit of tan.
Don't forget to grab a featured button
Time to get this week's party started!
1. PLEASE. LINK. BACK. Please include a direct link back to my blog party.
2. Feel free to link up any of your masterpiece's whether they're crafts, recipes, decor, thrifty finds, etc. (Please no direct links to etsy or other sales sites.)
3. Please do not pin from the party, go to the original blog and pin from there
Have a blessed week,